Caitlin Clark Is Officially #1

Caitlin Clark Is Officially #1

The WNBA has never been the most popular professional sport with way fewer viewers than the opposing NBA, but this next season may be different. Women’s college basketball has taken off the past couple of years with stand out Caitlin Clark. In fact, the 2024 NCAA Women’s Final Four had the most viewers ever recorded. Many of this past basketball season’s outstanding women are going into the WNBA, which is exciting for fans. In fact, this year’s WNBA Draft also had the most views ever recorded and was even the most viewed WNBA event ever on ESPN. With all this being said, maybe the WNBA will make its first profit since it started in 1996.

The first overall pick of the draft was, not surprisingly, Caitlin Clark to the Indiana Fever. Clark has broken many collegiate records. She holds the record for assists in Iowa and the Big Ten, set the Big Ten’s most 3-pointers in a career record, has been the only D1 woman to achieve 1000+ points in two different seasons, and so many more. Although Caitlin Clark isn’t the only amazing woman to have played a part in bringing in more views for women’s basketball, she has hands down been the biggest contributor. So many young basketball girls look up to Clark and wish to be like her when they are older. If you are looking for some entertainment starting in May, Clark’s games are never a disappointment. 

Angel Reese, Clark’s rival, is another very well known player. In Reese’s freshman and sophomore years, she started for Maryland, but with an upsetting NCAA tournament end both years, she entered the transfer portal. After signing with LSU, she was finally able to receive the tournament success that she wanted, setting several new records. The conclusion of the 2023 season was a good one, with Reese leading her team to its first national championship title, which was played against Iowa. This past year, the tournament was looking good for Reese and LSU, but then came the rematch. In the Elite Eight, LSU played Iowa once more—and lost. Although this was upsetting for Reese, she was drafted seventh overall to the WNBA’s Chicago Sky. 

Two other important WNBA draft picks to note are Kamilla Cardoso and Kate Martin. Cardoso is 6’7” and was part of the South Carolina Gamecocks–the winners of two national championship titles in the three seasons that Cardoso played for them. Cardoso was drafted third overall to the Chicago Sky. Kate Martin played for Iowa all four years, but red-shirted her freshman year due to injury. After that, she got the recognition she deserved. She had great success and even won the Iowa Big Ten Sportsmanship Award three years in a row. Martin was the 18th pick and is heading to the Las Vegas Aces.

This next season of the WNBA will definitely be one to watch with so many popular outstanding athletes heading into the association. Congratulations to all of the 2024 WNBA draft picks.