NFL Season Kickoff

Kansas City Chiefs vs Detroit Lions
NFL Season Kickoff

Thursday, September 7th, marks the date of the season opener for the NFL. The Kansas City Chiefs will host the Detroit Lions at their home, Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs ended their season last year with a Super Bowl victory. The Lions weren’t so lucky–not even making the playoffs; however, they ended their season well, winning 5 of 6 games, including their final victory against the Green Bay Packers, eliminating them from the playoffs. They also ended with a winning record, something that they haven’t had in 6 years. The Lions were so close to the playoffs, but, unfortunately for them, the Seattle Seahawks won their last regular season game bringing them into the playoffs instead of the Lions. 

Many individuals who haven’t been paying much attention to the NFL recently, may think that this season’s kickoff game will be a piece of cake for the Chiefs, but the Lions are looking pretty good, with one of the best squads they’ve had in years. The Lions have recently drafted Jahmyr Gibbs (RB), in the first round, whom Detroit hopes will be a dynamic playmaker for them this season. Gibbs, who attended Alabama, led the Crimson Tide in rushing, receptions, and kick returns last year. Also in the first round, the Lions drafted Jack Campbell (LB) who is looking to help the Detroit defense considerably, which has almost always been lacking. Last year, Campbell received the Butkus-Fitzgerald award as the nation’s top linebacker while he attended the University of Iowa with fellow Lions second round draft pick, Sam LaPorta (TE). There are many more impressive new athletes to the Lions’ team, but let’s start talking about the other side of things.

Right now, the viewpoint of a Chief’s fan is that of total optimism. Their fans are still in good spirits from their recent Super Bowl victory. Do they have what it takes to do it again? Patrick Mahomes (QB), who is entering his seventh season in the NFL (all with the Chiefs), is looking strong this upcoming season. Last year, he ended the season by winning the league MVP award and the Super Bowl MVP award, being the first person in the 21st century to do this. Mahomes also led the league in passing yards and touchdowns this past season. Travis Kelce (TE), who is entering his eleventh season (also all with the Chiefs), holds the record for most games with 100+ receiving yards as a tight-end. Mahomes and Kelce hope to lead Kansas City to back-to-back Super Bowl Victories which hasn’t been done since 2003-2004.

Even though this could be a close kickoff game, our school seems to think that it will be a breeze for the Chiefs. In a recent poll taken, an overwhelming 85% of those who responded think that the Chiefs will pull out the win against the Lions.

Who do you think will win this opening day faceoff?