National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is one of the months that is filled with making different types of topics that people should be aware of. One of the popular ones is breast cancer, but another one that people need to be aware of is domestic abuse. Domestic abuse happens often and some people won’t even know that you are in an abusive situation. Some of the key signs to be aware of is if they are cutting people out of their lives, because the abuser doesn’t want them talking to them. They are always making excuses about their abuser. They have multiple cuts/bruises and they blame it on themselves for being clumsy. This type of abuse affects everyone from men to women, children, and the type of religion or culture they grew up/believe in. October was declared National Domestic Awareness Month in 1989 and it kind of just stuck all of those years. On average 20 people are physically abused every hour and this would add up to 10 million victims abused in general. Also in general millions of children are exposed to domestic violence and this will stick to the children throughout the years and this could cause them to have mental health problems later on if it gets worse. Some ways that you can help people that you know are in a domestic situation is calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline ( 800-799-SAFE (7233)), show your concern to the person in a gentle way because if not it could make them shut down and not want to talk about it anymore. Another way you can help is continue to show support even if they still stay with the abuser because they really can’t leave them.

Scoure:

https://www.dhs.gov/employee-resources/news/2023/10/04/domestic-violence-awareness-month#:~:text=National%20Domestic%20Violence%20Awareness%20Month,devastating%20impact%20of%20domestic%20violence.

https://www.nctsn.org/resources/public-awareness/national-domestic-violence-awareness-month