Top 3 Sports Movies

The sports genre is one that often gets overlooked, as a good one doesn’t come out very often. This is because it is hard to not fall into a boring cliche. When one does come out, though, they are always inspiring and uplifting. So, in honor of the Super Bowl this weekend, I decided I would highlight my favorite ones.

3. Raging Bull (1980)

The life of boxer Jake LaMotta, whose violence and temper that led him to the top in the ring destroyed his life outside of it.

Not only is it a really inspiring boxer’s story, but it also handles the main problems in his life like his anger issues. It is a great character study based off of a real boxer, and has amazing writing to assist that. It has been said that this made the real Jake LaMotta, whom it was based off of, break down in tears because of how terrible of a person he is.

2. Moneyball (2011)

Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane’s successful attempt to assemble a baseball team on a lean budget by employing computer-generated analysis to acquire new players.

Even though this is more of a financial movie than a sports movie, it still captivates you. Brad Pitt is infectious as the lead, and there is still that climactic sports scene in which the protagonist’s team is put into an intense situation. It is a perfect watch if you’re looking for a great underdog story.

1. Rocky (1976)

A small-time Philadelphia boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight the world heavyweight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

As an all-time classic, this still holds up as one of the best movies I’ve ever watched. It not only has amazing action and an amazing “antagonist”, but it also is an amazing drama of a man trying to prove himself. Truly an amazing story in real life too, as Sylvester Stallone was broke until this movie managed to succeed and change his life.

Other good recommendations:

Remember the Titans

Dangal

Creed (entire Rocky franchise)

The Longest Yard

The Sandlot

42