Fast Food: What are We Actually Consuming?

Many students like to drive downtown and eat out with their friends. There are many delicious restaurants to choose from, whether it be Chick-Fil-A, Raising Canes, McDonalds, Chipotle, etc. But here’s the catch: what are you actually consuming at these restaurants?

When people order food, they’re more focused on the taste factor; not what’s actually in it. Food provides us energy, but it also gives us calories and fats. The average student should consume about 2,000 calories per day, as well as getting enough fat. However, the problem that arises is that students are consuming so many calories and eating tons of fat from these fast food restaurants. Let’s take a deep dive into the nutritional summaries of the most popular meals at some of these restaurants:

• McDonalds– A popular meal at McDonalds is a Big Mac with medium french fries and a medium Coca-Cola. The total amount of calories in this is 1,090 and the total amount of fats is 49g.
  • Wendy’s– A common meal ordered at Wendy’s is a Baconator with medium fries, a medium Coca-Cola, and a small Frosty. The total amount of calories in this is 1, 870 and the total amount of fats is 91g.
  • Chick-Fil-A– A chicken sandwich with waffle fries, a medium Coca-Cola, and Chick-Fil-A sauce are a basic, typical meal that you can order. The total amount of calories in this is 1,120 and the total amount of fats is 55g
  • Culvers– An average meal at Culvers is a Culver’s Deluxe burger with cheese curds and a Coca-Cola. The total amount of calories in this is 1,1590 and the total amount of fats is 78g
  • Burger King– A normal Burger King meal is a Whopper with french fries and a Coca-Cola. The total amount of calories in this is 1,230 and the total amount of fats is 57g.

While these are only a few famous restaurants that contain many unhealthy options, we should still consider that eating out may not always be the best option. It is always great to treat yourself, but the next time you are wanting to eat out, consider trying healthier choices and aim to consume less calories for a healthy diet!