Health Problems in Chow Chows

Health Problems in Chow Chows

One of the cutest dog breeds in my opinion would have to be the Chow Chow. That being said though they have some serious health problems that come with owning them. So, today I will be going through some of the problems and how to treat those problems.

• Eye Issues: there are a lot of different eye issues that your Chow Chow can get, but two of the most common ones are: glaucoma and entropion.
    • Glaucoma – this can look as common as watering in the eye or the eye looking almost swollen/bulging.
    • Entropion – this is also very common and is when the eyelid is rolling inwards and will cause the eyelashes to rub up against the cornea of the eye.
    • If either of these symptoms aren’t treated admittedly by a vet this could cause them to be blind and also it could be very painful for the dog.
  • Diabetes: although all dogs can get diabetes, it is most commonly seen in Chow Chows. If you see your dog has been eating/drinking a lot more or if they are losing a lot of weight, you might need to take them to the vet to get them checked out. You can get them on insulin, so it can help them with their blood pressure.
  • Hip Dysplasia: this is when the hip joints form improperly and this is inherited from the parents of the dog. If not treated as soon as possible, it can cause them to have arthritis in the hips. Also, make sure you are keeping your dog’s healthy weight because this can also cause them to have hip problems in the future.

Of course these aren’t all the health problems for a Chow Chow, but these are some of the most common ones. I hope this helps people who want to own a Chow Chow what to keep aware of.

Soure: https://www.walkinpets.com/blog/5-chow-chow-health-problems/