Health Problems in Pitbulls

Health Problems in Pitbulls

One of the most misunderstood dog breeds would have to be the Pitbull. People have described them to be mean and most people don’t want one because they are scared of them. I disagree with this entirely because I for one have grown up around them my whole entire life and they are the complete opposite. They are actually really good family dogs and they are sweet and loyal. So, today I’m going to be going over some health problems that may occur in a Pitbull and how to help them.

• Skin Disorders: these dogs are sadly prone to get a lot of skin disorders that are ranging from, allergies that cause the skin to itch, to having some sort of skin cancer or tumors. One of the easiest ways to prevent them from having very itchy skin, you should groom your dog regularly. Another way that your dog can get itchy skin is if the yard has really bad mosquitoes. If that is the cause get some bug repellent, so that your dog doesn’t get wounds on their body from scratching a lot.
  • Hip Dysplasia: this problem is caused when the hip is improperly formed. This is common in Pitbulls and usually occurs in their hind legs. If this isn’t treated properly it can cause them to have arthritis or pain in the legs and your dog will start to slow down in playing/walking.
  • Ichthyosis: this is when the pads of the dogs feet is thickening or the footpad’s outer layer to. Pitbulls can get this when they are born because it is usually found in genetics from their parents. You can notice it because it is described as looking like “fish scales” or having the form of dandruff. If this isn’t treated right away it could lead them to having pain in their feet.

These are some of the most common health problems that can occur when owning a Pitbull. Your dog can get a lot of other problems, so make sure that you are on the lookout. Hopefully these help when deciding if you want this breed of dog.

Source: https://www.walkinpets.com/blog/common-health-issue-pit-bulls/