Self Love

Self Love

As we’re nearing Valentines Day, it’s important to remember that you don’t have to have a significant other to get the feelings of love and compassion. Along with friends and family, you also have yourself to love. During the Gray Matters meeting on February 7, 2024, we discussed ways to show more appreciation for yourself on the national day of love.

The first step to respecting yourself is to set healthy boundaries. You aren’t obligated to take on every task you’re faced with. As a student and a daughter/son, you do have some responsibilities that you have to do, such as homework and chores. However, if a friend asks you to share homework answers or to lie to someone else for them, it may be crossing your boundaries. Know that it’s okay to say no if the task doesn’t follow your values.

Creating rituals or a routine for yourself is also vital to loving yourself. Something simple like journaling in the morning before your day and at night before you go to bed can help you recognize your accomplishments, no matter how small.

Connect with family and friends on Valentine’s Day to show your love for them. Something as simple as hanging out with a friend or going out for lunch with your family can benefit everyone’s mood. You can even grow your bonds with the people around you.

Remember to not put yourself down for any reason. Valentine’s Day is a day for everyone to enjoy even if you don’t have a significant other.

All in all, I hope everyone has a great Valentine’s Day with the people they choose to spend it with.