OHS Girls’ Basketball

2023-2024 Season
OHS Girls Basketball

The girls’ basketball team has officially started their season after a 2-2 tournament record. The varsity team graduated four of their main starters from last year, so they have some big shoes to fill. The varsity team is made up of senior Kamryn Filler; juniors Katie Angelos, Svea Carlson, and Avah Jones; sophomores Kamryn Brown, Lexi Christensen, Thea Seys, Avery Nichols, and Autumn Hoftender; and freshmen Sadie Appel and Neela Brokaw. The junior varsity team is made up of sophomores Thea Seys, Autumn Hoftender, and Avery Nichols and freshmen Bella Nightingale, Sadie Appel, Neela Brokaw, Aubree James, Irelyn Thorndyke, and Sydney Wyant.

During the varsity’s Ridgewood tournament, our team won their games against Galva and Bushnell-Prairie City. Varsity is looking forward to the rest of their season. The team had their first regular season game earlier this week at Rockridge. Although Rockridge was not able to field a normal JV team, they still played some of their varsity players in a JV game so that our JV team could play their first game. JV was able to win this first game of theirs, which gave them more confidence heading into the rest of their season.

When asked about how she felt their first game went, freshman Sadie Appel replied, “I think we (JV) played well and I am excited for the rest of the season” and “Even though varsity didn’t go as expected, I think it gave us a pretty good idea of what we can do. We can learn from the experience and know what to improve for next game”.

When asked the same question, sophomore Lexi Christensen answered, “ We were not prepared and got scared of the pressure put on us”; however, she also said, “I think [the season] will go well. We are improving and growing as a team and learning the plays”.

Although the team is facing a lot of rebuilding, the season still looks bright for these girls. They still have their whole season ahead of them including the following home games during this calendar year:

Vs Erie @ Home………………..11/30/23

Vs Sherrard @ Home…………12/04/23

Vs Riverdale @ Home………..12/07/23

Vs Monmouth Roseville @ Home……..12/14/23

Vs Wethersfield @ Home……12/15/23

Vs Knoxville @ Home…………12/18/23

Come support our girls’ basketball team!!!