Orion High School Track and Field

Come support your Orion Chargers at our three home track meets: April 5th, 12th, and 16th…mark your calendars!

Track and field is a great sport that has been around for a long time. It is also a very beneficial, complementary sport to many other sports such as cross country, basketball, football, soccer, wrestling, volleyball, and even summer softball and baseball. 

The Orion High School’s track and field program will begin practices on Monday, February 12th right after school. Track is so fun and a great opportunity to meet new people, get into better shape, and even find something that you are surprisingly good at. There are so many different events that you can participate in such as sprints (100m, 200m, 400m), hurdles (100m hurdles (110 for boys), 300m hurdles), distance (800m, 1600m, 3200m), relays (4x100m, 4x200m, 4x400m, 4x800m), and field events (high jump, long jump, triple jump, pole vault, discus throw, and shot put). I’m sure that you could be good in at least one of these events. If you aren’t so sure, read what these current OHS track athletes have to say about it. 

“What made you decide to give track a try this year?”

Senior Maya Van Duyne: “This year I decided to do track because of how much I loved competing for cross country in the fall. It will be a new and exciting challenge for me which I’m looking forward to.”

Sophomore Sadie Hessler: “[Track] gives me something to look forward to after school: seeing my friends and just having fun with them. It also gets you in great shape and you feel so good after running. Track is overall so much fun”

“Why do you love track?”

Junior Linah Pettifer: “I love track because it gives everyone an opportunity for success and improvement. Anyone can join track and feel like they have a community, and be able to improve themselves. Not only can you win as a team but individually you have a great chance at success.”

Sophomore Haylee Downing: “I love track because it gives me opportunities to try new things and challenge myself, as well as staying in shape and spending time with my friends!”

Senior Emily Hickerson (2023 state qualifier in high jump): “I love track because it’s a sport with so many different events to do. If you wanna run there are multiple different running events you can do. If you’d rather just throw and don’t like running that much you can do that too. If you wanna jump there are so many different jumping events. I just love the diversity of track and how there’s an event for everyone!”

“Why do you keep doing track?”

Sophomore Dylan Manning: “Wanting to improve and qualify for state.”

Sophomore Lexi Christensen: “I continue to do track because it is a lot of fun to hang out with my friends and compete in different events.”

And there you go–Track is so fun, there are many different things to try, and it’s an overall great experience. Visit https://schools.snap.app/orion to register today!