Day of Hope

Day of Hope

The Day of Hope, which takes place on May 10, 2024, is where anyone having been involved with mental health for a while or just getting into mental health can spread awareness and advocate for those who suffer with mental illnesses in their everyday lives. This event gives everyone a wide variety of things they can accomplish in order to do this, such as wearing a mental health related shirt, checking in on your close friends and family members, and sharing a post on social media that connects to the advocacy of mental health.

Wearing mental health related merchandise assists in the growth of people involved in the organization. Just a small group participating in this activity immensely helps to show others at schools or businesses that mental health is important and should be prioritized.

Most importantly, checking in on your close friends and family members regularly, especially on the Day of Hope, could help lead them to recovery or even save their life. You never know what another individual is going through, and even just a small conversation could give your peers a new sense of hope that will help guide them through each day.

Although social media has some negative impacts, it can be used to benefit society, which can be done by posting encouraging, mental health related pictures or videos of motivating events, actions, or words. Some examples of a potential post include: inspiring quotes, yourself or someone else wearing mental health merchandise, and related advocacy events. Make sure to include a caption that thoroughly explains why others should consider doing volunteer work, joining an organization, or giving a speech at an event.

Our own mental health organization, the Gray Matters Collective, will be setting up a table during lunch on Thursday, May 9, as well as handing out bracelets and popsicles for anyone who is interested. We hope to see you participate!