AFC/NFC Championship Games

AFC/NFC Championship Games

This weekend was very important to the NFL season. The two games on Sunday decided who will go to Super Bowl LVIII.

The first game Sunday was the Kansas City Chiefs at the Baltimore Ravens competing to be AFC Champions. To start things off, Chiefs’ quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, threw a 19 yard touchdown pass to tight end, Travis Kelce. Not too long after, Ravens’ wide receiver, Zay Flowers, caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from Lamar Jackson to end the 1st quarter 7-7. In the second quarter, the Chiefs scored a touchdown by Isiah Pacheco and were able to keep the Ravens scoreless. With four seconds to go in the half, Kansas City kicked a field goal for a half-time score of 17-7. No team was able to score in the third, and in the fourth, the Ravens were able to only score a field goal for a final of 17-10, Chiefs. The Chiefs, once again, are going to the SuperBowl for the fourth time in five years. During this game, the Ravens kind of did this to themselves with two fumbles, one interception thrown, four sacks allowed, and eight penalties for 95-yards. 

The later game was the Detroit Lions at the San Francisco 49ers to be NFC Champions. Detroit struck first with rushing touchdowns by both Jameson Williams and David Montgomery for a 14-0 end to the first. In the second quarter, 49ers’ running back, Christian McCaffrey, ran for a touchdown. A while later, Lions’ rookie, Jahmyr Gibbs, ran for 15-yards. With seven seconds left, the Lions kicked a 21-yard field goal for a half-time score of 24-7 Lions. Things were looking great for Detroit, a team that has never made a Super Bowl. Lions fans’ normally low hopes were beginning to rise. Unfortunately for them, the second half didn’t go so well. To start, the 49ers kicked a field goal. After that, 49ers’ quarterback, Brock Purdy, threw a touchdown pass to Brandon Aiyuk. Shortly after, McCaffrey ran for another touchdown. The third quarter ended 24-24. This was the type of thing that Lion’s fans are used to seeing. An early lead followed by several devastating mess-ups. Their hopes weren’t too low, yet, but they were lowered significantly since the half. Sadly for this Super Bowl hungry team, they were not able to keep the 49ers from scoring. To start the fourth, San Francisco kicked a field goal followed by an Elijah Mitchell touchdown. With 56 seconds left, Jameson Williams scored another Detroit touchdown, but Detroit wasn’t able to recover an onside kick. With this, the 49ers beat the Lions 34-31. Lion’s fans were once again disappointed, but quickly shook it off since this was the furthest they’ve made it since their 1991 conference championship appearance.

Super Bowl LVIII has been decided, Kansas City Chiefs, returning Super Bowl champs, will take on the San Francisco 49ers, who haven’t won the Super Bowl since 1995. This game will be held on Sunday, February 12th, at 5:30pm, in Las Vegas.