The Student Hunger Drive

Donate Today!
The Student Hunger Drive

Many families in the area are without proper food and are unable to provide for their children. They need help from area food pantries and this is the way we can help them. The Student Hunger Drive is a month-long event (Oct. 2nd-Nov. 9th) that takes place in the Quad Cities area. Schools in this general area collect canned goods and raise money for the River Bend Food Bank. Schools compete to see who can collect the most. 

Orion’s student council puts on several events to help raise money for this campaign such as a bake sale, several 50/50 raffles, $1 hat days, etc. When the drive is over, the OHS student council sends a group of students to help box and deliver the goods to the River Bend Food Bank, located in Davenport, Iowa. This food bank is a big warehouse that ships its food and supplies to smaller food pantries within its network. OHS has a competition between the 5th period classes to see which class can collect the most pounds per student. The winning class receives a free lunch of their choice. 

Last year, the Orion schools won 1st place in their division for the Hunger Drive. We need your help to meet this goal again this year! Anyone can donate even if you don’t have a child in the district. This is a great opportunity to help out your community. Donate cans or give monetary donations! We need all the help we can get. We are off to a slow start, but, with your help, we can get this ball rolling. For more information, contact a student council officer or representative that you trust.