PFL Purchases Bellator MMA

PFL Purchases Bellator MMA

Recently, the chairman of PFL (Professional Fight League), Donn Davis, has just announced the fact that the PFL promotion bought out Bellator MMA. Luckily for Bellator fans, Bellator would not cease to exist, instead the promotion will be relaunched and reimagined under the moniker of Bellator International Champions Series.

This is absolutely massive for the MMA landscape as this would give fighters a chance to fight more high level competitive and will allow fighters to have more negotiation power and thus will be able to, hopefully, make more money. This buyout also allows previously unavailable matchups, for example a huge one that fans would be excited to see is Kris Cyborg vs. Kayla Harrison.

A MMA journalist, by the name of Brett Okamoto, had this to say about the fight

“Cris Cyborg vs. Kayla Harrison is the most appealing. There is a narrative there to push. Ever since Harrison transitioned into MMA after winning two Olympic gold medals in judo, this has been a potential matchup. Yes, Harrison lost to Larissa Pacheco in the 2022 PFL lightweight finals, and if Pacheco wins the 2023 featherweight final this Friday, she deserves to fight Cyborg, the Bellator featherweight champ, when the PFL puts on the champ-vs.-champ event that Davis promised for 2024. But Cyborg vs. Kayla is the bigger fight, and I would expect the PFL to run with that one.”

In conclusion, this is a very good thing for both MMA fans, fighters, and promoters alike and I’m excited to see what happens to Bellator in the future.