History of Mother’s Day

Mother’s Day
History of Mothers Day

In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a bill designating the second Sunday in May as a legal holiday to be called “Mother’s Day”.  It is a special day to recognize the women who have given us so much.  We celebrate Mother’s Day to honor the accomplishments of the women in our life.  It’s also a time to cherish the relationship between child and mother.  Mother’s Day recognizes women for all they do.  Unsurprisingly, it took some inspiring women to bring this holiday to the world.

The history of Mother’s Day as we know it in the US, came from origins in West Virginia.  During the American Civil War, Ann Reeves Jarvis, known as “Mother Jarvis” in her local parish, helped start “Mother’s Day Work Clubs” to raise awareness of the poor health conditions in her community.  These clubs proved to be a tremendous unifying force for a region that was socially divided during the Civil War.  After the war ended, Mrs. Jarvis organized “Mother’s Friendship Day” to promote reconciliation between the Union and Confederacy.

The day we now recognize as Mother’s Day came from the efforts of Ann Jarvis’s daughter, Anna.  Anna saw how valiantly her mother expressed activism to give mothers the recognition they deserve.  She made it her life mission to get Mother’s Day onto the national calendar.  Anna’s campaign continued to gain popularity over the years.  She teamed up with floral companies and department stores to spread the word.  By 1912, Mother’s Day had spread to Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, and 45 US states.

What mothers want most is a chance to spend quality time with their families and to have a break from their daily duties.  Across the globe, giving presents on Mother’s Day is a cherished form of showing love.

almanac.com

history.com