American Heart Month

American Heart Month

Did you know that in the month of February it is also known as the heart month? Not because we celebrate Valentine’s Day, but because people are spreading awareness about cardiovascular health. They are focusing on making people aware that women are experiencing heart leading death and most women aren’t aware of it until it is too late. Also, heart disease is the leading cause of death right now for women as we speak in the U.S. There are different types of heart disease, but the most common one that is affecting people is called coronary artery disease (CAD). This can affect how the flow of blood gets to the heart, if the blood starts to decrease it can lead to a heart attack. Some common symptoms of heart disease: heart attacks, arrhythmia (this is when you feel a “fluttering” feeling in your chest), and heart failure. Key factors for getting heart disease are either smoking or having high blood pressure/cholesterol. You may also have a greater risk for having it if you have diabetes, unhealthy diet, or drinking a lot of alcohol. So, how do you prevent having heart disease; well here are some helpful tips for keeping heart disease far away from you. Start by developing some healthier habits, like for instance don’t smoke, get regular exercise, and have a healthy diet. You can also be on top of your medical conditions if you have any, like checking your blood pressure/cholesterol, taking your medicines when you need to, and managing your diabetes. By doing all these things, you can keep heart disease out of your life and live a very fulfilled life.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/prevention.htm