Spring Slack-Off: How to Avoid Second Semester Slack-Off Syndrome

As we near the end of the school year students tend to slack off on their school work. While everyone can experience this school slump, this phenomenon tends to be more common for seniors as they tend to experience senioritis, or the loss of motivation to do well, due to the fact that they just want to be done with school. While it isn’t the best idea to check out academically, it is understandable from a psychological perspective. If you find yourself losing motivation second semester, it is a good idea to try and avoid reinforcing habits that can cause you to stay in this slack-off state.

Instead of completely abandoning all your school work due to a lack of motivation, try to turn in any assignments your teachers are still taking for a grade, no matter how late it may be. Late points are still points and won’t be as detrimental to your grade as a zero would be. Completing your assignments can help you stay involved with your classes whilst making sure you stay in the habit of doing assignments, which can then lead to you building an even better habit of turning things on time. Furthermore, by doing your school work you’re able to refresh and strengthen things you’ve learned in class, allowing you to remember related topics for upcoming quizzes and tests. While it may not lead to a perfect grade, it can help you study and be well prepared for tests that you may not have motivation to study for. Another way to avoid further slacking is speaking with your teachers and asking them for help on assignments you struggle on and asking them to keep track of your progress for assignments, that way they can help you stay on track.

While it isn’t exactly the most perfect solution, I believe it’s better that students aren’t stressing themselves out too badly at the end of the year. If you’re trying your best to stay engaged in a boring environment you don’t want to be a part of, that’s probably the best we can ask of you. Make sure to take care of yourselves as we reach the end of the year!