The Importance of Having Hobbies

As students, many of us have to juggle multiple responsibilities such as homework, studying, work, extracurriculars, etc., leaving little to no time to spend time doing things that you actually enjoy. By not making or spending time on things that pique your interest, you end up feeling mentally drained and stressed, which in turn could affect these activities. In addition to this, hobbies also help you feel a sense of accomplishment and can help learn or strengthen important life skills.

When you take time to do something you enjoy, your brain often releases endorphins and dopamine, making you feel less stressed and more happy because your brain is focused on something that isn’t related to our stressful everyday lives. There is also the fact that hobbies can help build communities of people who share the same interests, allowing you to meet new people and get you out of your comfort zone. When you practice hobbies, you are making it easier for you to have motivation to complete your responsibilities and motivate your brain as hobbies discourage bad habits and time wasting.

Furthermore, with the help of your special interests, you start to gain confidence because as you continue to do something more and more consistently, you likely become better at it, leading to stronger self-esteem. Likewise, if you continue a hobby, you learn new skills that can complement life skills you already have and can increase your knowledge. Great examples of this are reading and sewing.

Hobbies are the key to living a healthier life with less stress. By using some of your time to commit to a hobby, you are helping yourself become happier and mentally stronger, regardless of what you choose to do.