Comparing the Dune Movies

The original Dune book was published in 1965 and tackled many different political and religious ideas, all in an original sci-fi world. This book has since been followed up by many sequels and prequels, and has had two film adaptations. The long-awaited third movie is coming out in a few weeks and is rumored to be the best one yet.

2. Dune (1984)

“A Duke’s son leads desert warriors against the galactic emperor and his father’s evil nemesis to free their desert world from the emperor’s rule.” –IMDb

No matter how highly regarded David Lynch is, he was not meant to make this movie and it shows. He, himself, hates it with a passion and regrets ever making it, and although it isn’t that bad, it does not have much going for it. The CGI is used way too much and is some of the worst I’ve ever seen, the writing struggles to convince you these are even real people , and the scale of the novel just can not be covered in a 137 minute movie.

1. Dune (2021)

“A noble family becomes embroiled in a war for control over the galaxy’s most valuable asset while its heir becomes troubled by visions of a dark future.” –IMDb

37 years later, Denis Villeneuve is one of the greatest working directors, and has a lifelong passion to adapt Frank Herbert’s original novel. This time the project has over 4 times the budget of the original and takes the time to cover everything from the book, splitting itself into two parts, each longer than the 1984 movie. The casting choices are terrific, the scale is absolutely grand, and the cinematography is some of the best you’ll ever see.