How to Maintain Your Mental Health During Finals

Although Christmastime is nearing and we are eager to get out of school, there is still one final obstacle: finals. Finals is a time for studying any minute you can for upcoming tests while also trying to maintain your mental health and social life. Despite the immense pressure that comes with finals, there are ways to lessen the stress and adequately prepare for what’s to come.

Start your studying process as early as possible. Studying early gives you additional time to retain any information you are unsure of or don’t understand. If you come up with a question on a certain subject, it won’t be too late to ask a teacher and ensure that you are studying the right thing.

Use your time wisely. This is the most basic advice anyone can give you, but it is the most helpful. Realize what moments are best for studying and don’t compare your ways of studying to someone else’s methods. If a friend asks to hang out, but you still need time to study before your final, then choose studying. It will pay off in the end.

Take necessary breaks. Studying for hours on end with no breaks can lead to burnout and even more anxiety about upcoming tests. Instead, give yourself a study plan. For example, study for an hour and take a break for ten minutes to do whatever you want. Repeat the process until you feel satisfied with your progress.

Remember: only you can change your life and how you choose to study, so do what’s best for you to reach success and know you aren’t alone with feelings of stress during finals season.