Should Students be Forced to Take PE?

Emily Hickerson, Writer

There are many different opinions about whether or not students should be forced to take a PE class. Many studies show that physical activity increases children’s fine and gross motor skills, helps them learn cooperation and teamwork skills, reduces stress, and improves self-confidence. According to a report by the New York Times, “students who are physically active have better attention and focus, improved problem-solving abilities, better working memory and a general improvement in both reading and math scores.” It is suggested that students have a PE period but use it to do vigorous activities that will make the kids break a sweat, such as tag or dodgeball. It is also believed that PE should just be cut out all together. Some individuals think that PE should be cut out and use that time for other core classes such as math and english. Cornell University conducted a study, which showed that when schools increased gym time by 200 minutes weekly students only engaged in around 8 more minutes of activity per day. Some districts also can’t even afford PE. PE in grade schools usually involve lots of equipment such as dodgeballs, polly spots, jump ropes, ect. which not all schools can afford. In my opinion, I do think that PE should be a mandatory class. In America 16.2% of children were obese in 2021. Now I’m not saying that PE will take care of kids being obese, but I do think it is important in keeping kids healthy. Do you think students should be forced to take PE?