The Cold Never Bothered Him Anyway (Except Sometimes)

Katie Noyd, Writer

For most of us, we dread going to school and would do anything to get out of it. So when there is an opportunity for a snow day, everyone jumps to the reasoning of why there shouldn’t be school. Usually we leap to conclusions without even thinking about how much work goes into the decision of having school. So in order to show everyone how much work our staff puts into the decision, I sat down and interviewed our superintendent, Mr. Blessman. Here are some questions and answers to give you the direct info from source himself.

I asked him what the general process was that he usually goes through in order to determine school and he said that he gets out in the morning around 4:00 a.m. along with Julie Lough, the road commissioner, Tom Hamerlinck, and more. They drive out on the tough and slippery roads to see if the vehicles would be able to handle it which plays a huge part in the decision. In the decision making process, the biggest factor, like last monday, for example, was more road conditions than anything else. The temperature only plays a big role in the decision if the diesel busses are not able to start because of the cold, the windchill does not matter as long as you are dressing properly for the weather. Mr. Blessman stays in contact with all of our surrounding superintendents to get other perspectives on the decision of having school. The one thing many of us high schoolers don’t take into consideration are the parents last minute searching for daycare when school is cancelled. Most of us also forget about those less fortunate than many of us, some families don’t provide heat for their houses or good meals so coming to school provides good heat and a decent meal for the students who cannot receive that at home. Overall, there are many factors that play a part in our snow day decision, and we need to take into thought how much effort truly goes into it.