Ukraine: The World Reacts

Eric Thorndyke, Writer

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has been going on for weeks now, and many people and organizations have reacted in decisive ways. Here are a few of those taking a stand:

Since Russia began its invasion of Ukraine, roughly 3.2 million Ukrainians have been displaced. Nearly 2 million have ended up in Poland, with the rest going mostly to other eastern European countries such as Romania and Moldova. This is a dramatic shift from prominent anti-immigrant sentiment, especially in Hungary and Poland. The cultural and geographical proximity these countries have to Ukraine means they feel more of a connection with them than, for example, Syrian refugees in 2015, which saw only Germany accepting a significant amount of people.

Many companies have started to close their stores for the time-being or to exit the country’s market entirely. Visa, MasterCard, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, Exxon Mobil, BP, Ford, GM, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai and hundreds of others have reduced or completely eliminated their stake in the country. Some companies, have not done the same. Yale business professor Jeffrey Sonnenfeld has identified a “hall of shame” which includes 34 major companies staying in Russia. Subway, Reebok, and LG are some of the countries that have made no plans to leave.

NATO countries have been quick to offer humanitarian aid, economic assistance, and military equipment to Ukraine. For a UN resolution condemning Russia, 141 countries voted in favor and 5 voted against, with the rest simply abstaining. Belarus, North Korea, Eritrea and Syria were the four joining Russia to vote against the resolution. China, India, Pakistan, and Vietnam, among others, abstained from the vote.

Sources:

UNHCR

White House

Axios

LA Times