First Gray Matters Meeting and Being Starfish Throwers

Hayley VanDuyne, Writer

Thank you to all who came to the first meeting last Wednesday! World Changers<3 

Now that we’ve been officially approved to meet at school, we’ve got a lot coming up. Our goal here at school is to create a better, more welcoming environment for everyone. We want anyone and everyone to feel welcome and seen. We plan to touch on topics such as anxiety/depression, seasonal depression, LGBTQ+ mental health/inclusivity, and more.

We would love to have some sort of “end of year” assembly and invite the community for a night of speakers and other mental health organizations. More than just to close out an amazing year, but we also want to take that time to welcome in our new leaders. The original idea for a club like this started with Izzy Nordstrom reaching out to Haley DeGreve. Haley came to our school and few years go on our schools “Mental Health afternoon.” If you remember we had a series of talks given by students here at Orion and then ended with an assembly where Haley and Fosters Voice attended.

Our end of year overall goal is to build a solid foundation for our schools chapter. We aren’t however going to base our success off of the number of people we get but by how the student body can change their attitude towards life.

There is a well-known story about a little girl on a beach who is throwing starfish, that got swept into shore during a storm, back into the water. An old man stops her and says that she will never be able to reach all the starfish. The little girl picks up one, throws it back into the water, and says but she helped that one.

That is exactly the mentality we have at TGM. As long as we can help ONE person who needs it, we would have done our job. 

Our next meeting is next Wednesday (2/16)! Mrs. Feldott’s room at 7:15! Join the change!