How Different Lifestyles Affect Mental Health

Mistreating your body can lead to many physical and mental effects. Teens, for example, are known for drinking at least one energy drink, soda, or other carbonated beverage per day. Most don’t realize or don’t care that these drinks included in their daily routine can cause dehydration, heart complications, anxiety, and insomnia (cdc.gov). Because of busy days and schedules, these individuals will not be able to consume the recommended daily water intake—four to six cups—and will develop an unhealthy lifestyle. According to Harvard Health, drinking water helps protect organs and tissues, regulating body temperature, and normalizing blood pressure.

Not getting enough physical activity can also aid in creating an unhealthy lifestyle. For example, consuming large amounts of food with little to no exercise can “…lead to greater risks for major health problems, from heart disease and diabetes to early death” (abbot.com). Simply going on a walk everyday can drastically change someone’s lifestyle and mindset for the better.

Forming a plan and sticking to a routine that follows some of these healthy lifestyle guidelines will encourage a positive mindset. When exercising, for instance, endorphins are released, which can assist in lowering anxiety levels caused by high-caffeinated drinks. Exercising on a regular basis and keeping up on water intake will increase self-esteem and confidence in the work you put in. The University of Cambridge and Fudan University even conducted research to reveal the connection between mental health and different types of lifestyles. They discovered that “…having a good night’s sleep…[reduced] the risk of depression, including single depressive episodes and treatment-resistant depression, by 22% (sciencedaily.com). Overall, establishing healthier habits will ultimately benefit your emotional, social, and psychological well-being.