Letters to Your Future Self

Letters to Your Future Self

At the Gray Matters meeting on February 21, 2023, we wrote letters to our future selves. Towards the end of the school year around finals time we will have a final meeting where we open the letters we wrote and see how much has changed in only a few months. Moreover, writing letters to your future yourself has been proven to be beneficial and those in the Gray Matters collective as well as anyone in the school should be encouraged to take part in the activity.

The most obvious purpose of writing a letter to your future self is to reflect on yourself and your ambitions. Once you are your future self that was written to by your past self, you can clearly see the difference, if any, between the two. Also, the contents of your letter give an insight into who you are as a person and what you have done to overcome challenges.

Writing letters to your future self can also be seen as similar to goal-setting because you are asking your future self if they have accomplished something life-changing or difficult and if that has changed them as a person. Just like goal-setting, it is your choice whether you want to put in the work to accomplish that goal or dream.

Finally, taking part in this activity for the long run can be helpful in seeing how far you have come over the years and how yourself or your ambitions have changed for the better. Furthermore, writing letters to your future self can help you recognize things that have changed for the worse so that you can fix them.