New Mental Health Solution and Connection to Drugs

According to NPR, “Depression is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for individuals ages 15 to 44…and around 25% of adults experience a diagnosable mental disorder in any given year.” For years, researchers and medical professionals have been working on discovering a cure for mental health illnesses, such as depression and anxiety. Even though there is no cure for most mental health disorders, there are many ways for improving the symptoms. Treatments can range from lifestyle changes to prescription drugs, but it all depends on the person’s preference and severity of symptoms.

Recently, a new discovery has shown that drugs and alcohol can be used to diagnose those with mental health issues. Any form of drug and alcohol use not only has negative physical effects, but also mental effects. According to New York Times, “Teenagers who use cannabis, alcohol and nicotine are more likely to have underlying psychiatric symptoms, and worse symptoms, than their peers who are not regularly using substances…” Now, doctors are asking patients during psychiatric screenings if they have consumed any drugs and alcohol on a regular basis to help determine mental health diagnoses. Because there is a “declining use of drugs and alcohol” in teenagers, it is easier to notice mental health issues (New York Times).

Although drugs and alcohol have no known connection towards causing mental health issues, they stand as a reliable resource in diagnosing them. However, the short high from any form of cannabis is not worth the harmful effects that come with them.