What is Dyslexia?

Eleanor W, Writer

What is Dyslexia?

Dyslexia is a learning disability that affects the language processing part of the brain. 

On average 5-15 percent of the US population is dyslexic. This means that 14.5 to 43.5 million children and adults have dyslexia. 

Why does this matter? 

Knowing that so many people have this learning disability it is good to be aware of the symptoms.  Keep in mind that these are generalized symptomes and should be looked into more if exhibited. I do not condone self diagnosing and would suggest looking into getting tested. 

Symptoms in young childhood: 

Difficulty reading 

Difficulty spelling 

Spending an unreasonable amount of time completing tasks that involve reading or writing. 

Symptoms in teens: 

Difficulty reading out loud

Struggles to finish test on time 

Messy handwriting

These symptoms can apply to many things so please do further research and do not self diagnose! 

Why should someone get tested for dyslexia: 

Studies have shown people that have not been tested early in life have a higher likelihood of suffering from things like depression, and anxiety. Testing also provides an option for students to get extra help with IEPs and accommodations. This levels the playing field for all students to  have the possibility to succeed. Students that have found out about dyslexia also reportedly stated that ¨it made me feel like I was not just stupid but there was a reason for my struggles.¨  This shows how testing gives a student clarity on their education and pushes them to succeed more. 

My goal with this article is to show people what dyslexia is. But not only this I think it’s important to talk about how this is not just a burden. That learning disabilities are labeled as such ¨disabilities¨ when really they should be labeled as learning differences. Dyslexia can be a gift.  Dyslexia makes you learn how to overcome challenges.  In a room full of entrepreneurs many have been diagnosed with learning disabilities such as dyslexia. Dyslexia gives you the ability to work through your troubles in a way no one else used to. The stigma around dyslexia needs to be taken down for it is not debilitating, it is empowering.