The Stress of a High School Actor

The Stress of a High School Actor

Nathan Tapscott, Writer

In high school, there are plenty of different clubs to choose from, from football to esports, every club is different in its ways of skills and practicing for upcoming events. However, I must say that being an actor for a drama club can be ranked in the higher ends of being stress inducing. 

For this upcoming show that will be held on Thursday, Apr 21, 2022 and Friday, Apr 22, 2022 there will be a show for the famous drama performance, “Newsies.” Me and a bunch of other talented classmates will be acting in this upcoming show as broke New Yorkers fighting for their working rights against the corrupt Pulitzer, a businessman who wishes to raise prices on the poor newsies.

With the advertisement out of the way, this show has been a lot of stress for many people other than me. Deadlines are closer than we thought, school is a leg weight to deal with, concerning parts of the show needing fixed, and musical scores that need adjusting. All these things being placed on the back of stressed students, it is a lot to have on a person’s mind. It makes them want to let go of some of those weights by blaming others. Sure it may help the stress a little, but whether it is a person’s fault or not, it isn’t helping with the future of getting things done. We are now getting in the mindset of getting less on other people and more of working together, helping others who need it to perfect everything in the show. Some people may not be loud, or not showing much character on stage. All things said are problems some people can have, and it is only best to help them rather than complain that they aren’t the best.

This goes for other clubs too, it happens to everyone even when you are trying your best. So what do you do then? Well, all you can do is pray for the best and continue practicing. Practice makes perfect, and even though perfect is impossible, try your best, and hope it is good enough for you and the people around you. If you put in the work and people see that, they will know what it’s like to be in your shoes when you think you aren’t good enough. If they are good people, they will support and help you through it.