State Series: Girls Track Edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

State Series: Girls Track Edition

Brooke Norberg, Writer

Last Thursday at the IHSA 1A sectional girls track meet in Erie, five of the twelve girls earned an opportunity to run on the blue track at Eastern Illinois University. The first of the five was Danielle Taets who qualified in 3 of the 4 events she competed in on Thursday.  The events being triple jump with a jump of 36-1.25, 100m hurdles with a time of 15.50, and 300m hurdles with a time of 48.64. Sadly, her 4×100 relay was short of state qualifying time my half a second.

Last year, Danielle brought home two gold medals out of her three events, so is she expected to bring home more hardware in those same events and possibly in the 300m hurdles? When asking Danielle she said she isn’t expected to win in those events. Although, seed doesn’t matter. Since she is the reigning state champ, the pressure is on and she said that it doesn’t help. For Danielle though, she tries to forget about the pressure because it makes it more fun and helps her do better. This is her third time traveling down to state, but she isn’t feeling as nervous. Right now she is feeling more chill about it because she knows what is going on and and what to expect. However, once Danielle enters the stadium the nerves definitely kick in. Danielle is hoping for her final high school state meet to get some more gold medals, but to overall improve. Also, she is looking forward to watching the 4×800 relay compete. Finally, Danielle hopes to end the season with everyone to have a good and positive trip no matter the outcome.

The remaining 4 of the 5 whole qualified were the 4×800 relay team, which consists of Maryn Bollinger, Brooke Norberg, Faith Catour, and Izzy Nordstrom. The relay team heading back to Charleston for their second year, although added Izzy to the new team. The team has been doing exceptionally well because of their time continuously dropping. The team’s current PR being a 10:19.93, which is the time they ran at sectionals.

Izzy is new to the track team this year and this is her first high school state track meet. Before state there is sectionals where the competition was fierce for the 4×800, but for Izzy she was pretty excited going into sectionals. She explains that the relay had already made qualifying time previously, so now it was just everyone running their best. She says the team works really hard and knew it was going to go well. Since this is her first time going to state, going into it she is very excited, because she is looking forward to spending time with the team and bond even more. She describes how running at this level is very different than she is used to, but is confident in the teams abilities. Izzy is hoping that the relay can get a PR at this meet if they run their best, which will make the team happy all around. That being said, once she found out the team was ranked 8th and the top 12 go to finals, she would feel amazing if the really could make it to finals.

The 1A girls will compete Thursday at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. Any girls that qualify for finals with compete on Saturday.