When Should Teachers Give Homework?

Back to Article
Back to Article

When Should Teachers Give Homework?

Brooke Norberg, Writer

For many years, teachers have always given their students homework. However, is this homework actually useful to what the student is learning about in  class? Some people would say, yes, that homework is needed from teachers because it gives students something to do. It also keeps students out of trouble, and simply is a part of education. These aren’t the correct reasons to assign homework, because these reasons aren’t helping students. Teachers should assign homework when it is actually necessary, such as in math when you learn a new lesson. After this, you need homework to practice what you have learned in order to do well on the next math test. Homework shouldn’t be assigned when it doesn’t apply to what we learned or help us. When students are given pointless worksheets of articles, it doesn’t help the students learn what they were taught, but make them wonder “why am I doing this?”. Sometimes teachers give students certain assignments solely because they feel they need to assign something, but that isn’t their job. A teacher’s job is to help students learn, whether that is with the lesson they have taught or with life. Then, if the homework does not apply to that then don’t give it to your students. It makes the students less stressed, enjoy school, and feel like they aren’t doing pointless work. As for the teachers, it makes them less stressed as well as complaining less about all the homework they have to grade.