Veterans Day

Veterans+Day

Claire McLoone, Writer

Of course, any day out of school is a sigh of relief to students and teachers. It’s a day to sleep in, hang out with friends, or maybe catch up on assignments. However, this Sunday and Monday are days to honor the veterans that have fought, died, and served our country. Veterans Day is intended to honor and thank all military personnel who served the United States in all wars. It is officially observed on November 11, this Sunday. Monday is the day of official observance, meaning we don’t have school and many federal businesses are closed, such as banks. A period of silence lasting two minutes may be held at 11am or at many places the American flag is hung at half mast.

Why November 11th?

November 11th is no random day someone picked to remember the ones who fought and served. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, an armistice between Germany and the Allied nations came into effect. On November 11, 1919, Armistice Day was commemorated for the first time. In 1926, the United States Congress officially recognized the end of World War I and declared that the anniversary of the armistice should be commemorated with prayer and thanksgiving. Approved on May 13, 1938, which made November 11 in each year a legal holiday, known as Armistice Day. In 1954, the veteran service organizations urged Congress to change the word “Armistice” to “Veterans”. Congress approved this change and on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor all veterans.

Things to do in the Quad Cities this Veterans Day weekend:

Davenport’s Veterans Day Parade on November 12

Bettendorf family museum Veterans Day Project November 10

Veterans Day ceremony at RI arsenal  Nov. 11

Veterans Day program at Orion Central Park Nov.11

Thank a veteran!

Along with thanking a veteran, WQAD has provided a list of businesses that show their appreciation through discounts and freebies. Click here for the link.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/veterans-day