Morgan’s Pre-College Tips – First Edition

Morgan LaBelle

Let’s be honest here. Everyone who wants to go to college, has a dream school they want to attend. I have always wanted to go to the University of Iowa (Go Hawkeyes!) and so has my mom. Closer colleges like Black Hawk College, Western Illinois University, Augustana College, and St. Ambrose were never an option for me. It’s always been Iowa. Absolutely nothing against any of those schools, they all have great programs for specific specialties. Obviously I want to be a doctor, and none of those 4 schools have outstanding medicine programs like Iowa does. I committed to Iowa right before school started. When I was looking at other universities medicine programs, I was impressed but I think what attracts me to the University of Iowa so much is that most all of my doctors at UISFCH went there for schooling. I was accepted as a pre-medicine major and I’ll be hitting the books at Iowa next fall and for the next 12 years of college, yay!

Tip #1: ALWAYS look online at the programs a school has to offer and what’s required, or schedule a one-on-one visit and talk to the admissions counselor about a specific program. There may be prerequisite classes you need to take in high school or the summer before you go to college.

Tip #2: Do NOT follow a boyfriend, girlfriend, or best friend to college. Total bad idea and dumb. The purpose of college is to get away from the high school setting and grow up. Time to make choices for yourself, my friends.

Tip #3: Don’t think you have to know what you want to do forever when you apply to a school, that is why they have “open majors” where you can just decide when the time comes. And, you can change your major during college. Doesn’t matter when or to what, but you might have to stick around longer than 4 years if you have required classes for your new major.

Tip #4: Don’t be afraid to do what you want to do with your life. I haven’t fully decided if I want to minor in Spanish, but if I do I will study abroad for a semester or so. Life is all about taking chances!

Tip #5: MAKE NEW FRIENDS AS SOON AS YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING. For Iowa, we have a Facebook page set up by the University to meet people and interact, and potentially find a roommate (I had one before I knew about the page.) I have met so many NICE people and chances are I probably won’t see them much on campus next year but it’s still nice to have friends before you go to school with a bunch of strangers.