My Thoughts Exactly.

Claire McLoone, Writer

I don’t necessarily like to get political, especially around my peers, but there was something about yesterday that just really bothered me – a walk out for 17 minutes in memory of the 17 people killed. I frequently asked myself, leading up to 10:00 am, what difference will this make? Would a town, or rather a village, of 1,814 people where only about 30 high school students stood outside in the back of the high school make a difference? It didn’t. There was no change, no actual turning  point that occured. I still don’t know what the point of it was, memoriam, protest or both? I truly believe that many of the people who went outside didn’t know either. I asked one of the sophomores going to make a stand, “What are you going out there for?” She responded with “I don’t really know, but I think it’s for a good cause- like gun control or something.” To get to my actual point across, I think there was a much simpler way to make a big difference. Maybe smile at 17 people you normally wouldn’t smile at, say kind words to 17 people who might not have someone to speak to, offer friendship to 17 people who might have no friends.  Do 17 good acts. Write or call your state representative with your opinion. It’s almost effortless. Now that could change the climate of the school. 17 reasons for change… 17 reasons to make a difference. #walkup