Drew’s Train of Thought

Drew DeKeyrel, Writer

Everyone knows about the weird videos on YouTube, things like “Let it Go but every time it says ‘go’ it gets bass boosted.” What if we could do that in real life? That one friend who always uses the same word multiple times in a conversation would probably think about buying a thesaurus. Or if you have to sit through a really boring seminar or lecture, you could just slowly start distorting the speaker. Your college professor would probably be really confused as to why you are on the ground giggling, but you would be having a good time. In hindsight, this probably wouldn’t be useful, in fact, it would probably be an extremely bad thing. Still, it’d be pretty funny for a day or two.

What if there was an alternate dimension where normal talking becomes singing and singing becomes talking? It’d be called ‘Musical World.’  Plus, everyone in that dimension is really good at singing. If someone from this dimension would get teleported there, they would probably be ridiculed for talking instead of singing. Also, all the top songs in this dimension would be referred to as speeches and the singers of this dimension would be public speakers. Likewise, the politicians and public speakers of this world would be the best singers and their speeches would be the greatest hits.

Last night, while perusing through various medical terms and facts, I found something strange: psychosomatic symptoms. Psychosomatic symptoms are physical ailments, such as dizziness, fatigue, headache, etc., that are either caused by or worsened by mental or emotional distress. Basically, you can physically make yourself ill just by becoming too stressed. Taking it one step further, there is a mental illness called Somatic Symptom Disorder. This disorder can literally cause you to have seizures or paralysis just because you are in emotional distress, even though you may not know it. This ailment usually arises when the patient is in emotional distress but does not know how to relieve itself from this distress, so your subconscious causes your body to become ill or to have pain. The physical ailments the patient have are usually not related to any physical causes, so most of the symptoms can be taken care of with the help of a medical professional. What really intrigues me about this illness is how much your subconscious can affect you. It also makes you think about whether or not your symptoms are real, or if your subconscious is creating them. You depend on your nervous system to tell you if something is wrong, and if your nervous system is giving you false information, how can you trust it? How do we know that anything that happens is really what’s happening? Of course, that’s just crazy thinking, obviously we have to trust what he see, hear, and feel. We have to trust it because it’s all we have. Psychosomatic symptoms and ailments from Somatic Symptom Disorder are both very real. The headache you feel after a stressful day is most likely an actual headache. A person who becomes paralyzed from Somatic Symptom disorder cannot move his/ her body at his/her own will, although the reflexes still work and a well-trained neurologist can tell if it is paralysis with a physical cause. The ailments you get from mental distress are still real ailments, they just have no physical cause.