Should Homework Be Banned?

Should Homework Be Banned?

Emily Hickerson, Writer

You just get home from school after being in classes for 7 hours and at practice for 2. You are about to sit down and watch some TV when you realize that you still have homework. You have 20 math problems, a chapter to read in english, and 10 chemistry questions. This is all after you have been at school for 9 hours. Is homework really necessary?

Homework can lead to many different problems such as stress for the family and child doing the homework. When parents tell their kids to do their homework this can lead to fights if the child doesn’t want to do the homework. Parents also get frustrated when they can’t help their child with their homework. After having a 9 hour day at school, homework can just add unnecessary stress.

Too much homework also leads to kids doing less extracurricular activities or less family time. Kids will sometimes have hours of homework when they could be outside exercising or hanging with their family.

Homework can also lead to an unsteady sleep schedule. Students need on average 8-10 hours of sleep each night. 2 hours of homework plus a 9 hour day can lead to not enough sleep. When kids don’t get enough sleep it is harder for them to focus and school and may even lead them to stay home from school.

Less homework also gives kids more time to socialize. An important skill for children is to socialize or talk with other people. When you have so much work to do you don’t really have enough time to socialize and that can lead to unsuccessful futures. 

As you can see homework can lead to much more harm than good.