Sports Update

Sports+Update

Kasey Filler, Writer

During this past week a lot has been going on in the world of high school sports. Fall Sports (spring this year) have been competing  for the past three weeks. (An update on how each team’s season is going is down below.) Spring/Summer sports have started practices while Fall sports are nearing the middle of their seasons. Spring/Summer sports include; Softball, Baseball, Track & Field, Wrestling, and Girls Soccer. All of these sports teams officially started practice this past monday (April 5th). With the short seasons this year many of these teams will start competition/games in just one short week. Fall and Spring sports will be over lapping for the next two and a half weeks which will cause some stress and chaos for the athletes that play in both sports seasons.  With that being said everyone is happy to be able to get out and play the sports that they love!

An update on how the fall sports seasons are going:

Football

The Football team won their first game on Thursday (April 1st). They played at Monmouth Roseville and won 13-8. This win puts them at a 1-2 record, with loses from Rockridge and Fulton. Not only did the varsity team win the Fresh Soph team also won this week in a 52-0 blow out against the Titans. The Fresh Soph team also has a record of 1-2. This friday the Varsity team will play Princeton at home in a Tackle Cancer game. The game will start at 7 p.m. and they will be raising money for Kara Matzen and her family.

Volleyball

The Volleyball team has a record of 5-3 with loses to Riverdale, Rockridge, and Moline. They were supposed to play Fulton this week, but those games got cancelled because Fulton got quarantined. After they found out Fulton was quarantined the varsity team picked up a game against Monmouth Roseville. they will be playing them tonight (Thursday, April 8th) at 6 p.m. The volleyball team only has 2 weeks left of play until their season is done for the year.

Boys Soccer

The Boys Soccer team has a record of 5-4 with loses against Alleman(2x), Monmouth Roseville, and Kewanee. Their next game is Saturday at home against Illini Bluffs. The game will start at 11 a.m.

Upcoming events for Spring/Summer sports:

Baseball

The new baseball coach, Coach Smith, has held a number of open gyms in the off season, but the team officially started practice on Monday. Their first game that is scheduled to be played April 17th at home against Monmouth Roseville. Varsity will start at 10 a.m. with JV to follow.

Softball

The softball team also started practices last Monday (April 5th). They are scheduled to play their first game April 15th at home against Geneseo. The varsity game will start at 4:30 p.m. with a JV game to follow.

Track & Field

The track team with have their first meet on Wednesday April 21st at home against Monmouth Roseville and Alleman.

Wrestling

The wrestling team has their first meet on May 6th at home against United. They will start the meet at 5:30 p.m.

Girls Soccer

The girls soccer team will have their first game on April 17th at home vs Monmouth Roseville. The game will start at 12:30 p.m.

Click here to view schedules for all the sports teams!