IHSA Sports Update

Kasey Filler, Writer

A lot has happened in the past couple days regarding high school sports. The news can be confusing and a lot of times we hear tons of different things from tons of different places, especially regarding the schedule for school sports this year. I’m here to tell you all that you need to know about what will be happening with high school sports in the coming months.

Let’s start with when each sports’ season will be. The biggest question is, When will each sport be played this year?

Boys/Girls Basketball; Now- March 13th

Cheerleading; Now- March 13th

Boys Soccer; March 1st- April 17th

Football; March 3rd- April 24th (With the first game being March 19th)

Volleyball; March 8th- April 24th

Baseball; April 5th- June 19th

Softball; April 5th- June 19th

Girls Soccer; April 5th- June 19th

Track & Field; April 5th- June 19th

Wrestling; April 19th- June 12th

As you can tell from the dates some sports seasons overlap with others. IHSA is hoping all coaches can work something out to not make the multi sport athletes choose which sport to play this year. All sports are required to practice only 7 days before their first games played, with football as an exception. In a normal season you are required to have a few more practices than this before your team can compete, but considering the short seasons the IHSA is only requiring 7. Also, the reason traditional spring sports have a longer season this year compared to the other sports is because they didn’t get a season last spring. All sports that are out of season are allowed contact days. Each sport that’s out of season is only allowed 3 contact days per week and those practices can’t be longer than a total of 6 hours per week. The IHSA board is considering state series for traditional spring sports (Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Girls Soccer) only. Cheer will be having their state series virtual this year.

I hope this article helped everyone better understand what’s going on with sports this year! I can’t wait to see everyone back in the gym and on the field. If you have any questions or want to know more about something regarding school sports leave a comment and I’ll try to respond!