38 Year Old Iowa Teacher Dies of Covid-19

Bianca Schnerre, Writer

Jason Englert a 38 year old, Iowa teacher contracted covid-19 and died just days after testing positive for the virus. The superintendent of Belmond-Klemme Community School District, Daniel Frazier, said it was Mr. Elgert’s first year of teaching in the school district’s talented and gifted program. The Belmond-Klemme Community School District is located 90 miles north of Des Moines. There was a reported outbreak in the district’s secondary school the previous week. According to Frazier the outbreak was linked to students who were getting together outside of school and spreading the virus. Mr. Frazier then said that some of those students brought the virus to school. On October 30 classes at the secondary school were moved online. On November 2 The Wright County Health Department tested all the secondary school teachers and staff members. Frazier said that on November 5 Englert was informed that he had tested positive for the virus. Frazier said, “We sent him home early that Thursday and checked on him that Thursday night and that was the last time we heard from him.” Police were called to Mr. Englart’s house on Sunday for a welfare check after he failed to answer his father’s calls. Frazier said police found his body and concluded that he had died suddenly a day or two earlier.

Englert coached junior high volleyball and junior high girls basketball. Superintendent, Frazier said he planned to coach varsity girls track. Mr. Englert taught junior high and high school math at Manson Northwest Webster before teaching at Belmond-Klemme. Frazier said his students were quite shocked and didn’t know how to react the first couple of days and said, “There’s a lot of sadness.” Grief counselors were made available for Belmond-Klemme students.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/11/12/covid-19-iowa-teacher-38-dies-days-after-testing-positive/3761374001/