Friday Night Lights

Kasey Filler, Writer

Orion as well as many other schools in the area will be taking part in the IHSA’s Lights For the Fight. Every Friday night until quarantine is lifted the lights at each school’s football field will be turned on from 8 p.m. to 8:20 p.m.. Schools are doing this to honor the high school seniors. The seniors this year don’t get to spend their last spring semester with their high school friends before they all go their separate ways. They are missing their senior year prom, senior trip, possibly graduation, spring sports seasons, and all the memories that would have been made at all these events. These are all the reasons the IHSA wanted all schools to do something to honor them. This is a very unfortunate thing that has affected many people and it has happened at very bad timing for this year’s seniors. With that being said the seniors are not the only people being honored during the IHSA’s Lights For the Fight. All healthcare workers, first responders, and all other essential workers during this pandemic. Healthcare workers are risking their lives every day to save others, along with first responders. All essential workers are greatly needed and appreciated during this time. Lights For the Fight is something the IHSA wanted to hold to be able to show these people how appreciated they are. Not only to show how much we appreciate everyone who is working during this time, but how thankful we are for them. They obviously are not able to give the seniors, healthcare workers, first responders, and all essential workers the big production they deserve, but this is what schools can do for now to honor these groups of people.