IHSA State Championships

Allen Catour, Writer

The 2020 IHSA State Championships took place this weekend in Champaign, Illinois at the State Farm Center from Feb. 20-22. The top 16 wrestlers from classes 1A, 2A, and 3A in every weight class tried to achieve their goal of becoming a state champion.

Orion had two state qualifiers represent the Chargers at the tournament. Sophomore Allen Catour (145) made his first trip to Champaign after placing 2nd at Sectionals. Junior Noah Schnerre (152) placed 4th at Sectionals to become a 3x state qualifier in his high school career.

Catour advanced to the quarterfinals after his 18-2 first-round win over Jack Narine of Wilmington. Schnerre wrestled John Sexton from St. Thomas More first round and lost a close match, 5-2. He’d rebound in the wrestle backs with a 5-3 win over Mikel Ent of Auburn.

Daniel Gutierrez from Dwight would end Catour’s run on the championship side of the bracket with an 18-5 major decision win. 

Schnerre’s win over Ent set up a rematch from earlier in the season with Brayden Kaiser from Vandalia. Kaiser won their first matchup during the 3rd place match at the Princeton Invitational Tournament, 3-1. Schnerre, however, would win where it mattered most. With a narrow 2-1 decision, he put himself in the blood round with the opportunity to earn a medal.

Both Charger wrestlers had familiar opponents in the blood round. Catour had Caleb Nix from Auburn while Schnerre had Jason Hermann of Lena-Winslow. Catour and Nix’s only encounter this season was in the finals of the Litchfield Tournament where Catour won 7-5. Schnerre and Hermann wrestled in the semis at Litchfield and twice during Sectionals where all three matches were decided by two or fewer points.

Catour scored early and kept scoring points on his way to a 19-4 technical fall win. His win guaranteed at least a 6th place finish. Schnerre had another grueling match that was once again close. Down 4-2, he had Hermann’s leg up in the air with time winding down in the 3rd period. Unfortunately, Hermann’s flexibility and strength were too much as he was able to fend off the takedown. The loss knocked Schnerre out of the tournament and prevented him from placing. The focus now shifts to next year. As a senior, he’ll look to become a 4x state qualifier during his high school career while finally earning a spot on the podium.

In the semifinal wrestle backs, Catour would lose 8-4 to Alex Carrillo of Nazareth to drop him into the 5th place match. Carrillo lost to Nolan Throne from Rockridge in the semifinals, who’d later go on to defeat Anthony Federico of Belleville Althoff, 3-2, for the state title. Catour would end his first trip down at Champaign with a 9-6 win over Corbin Moser from Prairie Central and a 5th place finish.

Other 1A local area place winners included:

State Champions- Dallas Krueger (Rockridge-138), Nolan Throne (Rockridge-145), Kyle Tunik (Sterling Newman-152),  Bryan Caves (Riverdale-220)

Runner Up- Jack Patting (Alleman-152)

4th Place- Charlie Jagusah (Alleman-Hwt)

5th Place- Collin Altensey (Riverdale-106), Brock Smith (Riverdale-113)

6th Place- Broctyn King (Mercer County-113)

For more information on the the state tournament, check out these links!

https://qconline.com/sports/rockridge-senior-duo-stays-undefeated-caves-claims-title/article_67a27bb8-1b55-5ffe-8a1b-e5d389084409.html

https://qconline.com/sports/nine-local-wrestlers-compete-in-third-and-fifth-place-matches/article_8e89225a-c51b-55b1-8ae0-2faca4044071.html