African American History Month

Ryan Dondanville, Editor

As you’ve guessed from the title, February is African American History Month. We take this month to celebrate iconic African American figures who’ve made huge contributions to our ever-changing society. African American culture has impacted multiple aspects of America’s culture, areas such as sports, law, politics, music, art, science, entertainment, and so many other fragments of our country. Idols like Martin Luther King Jr., Barack Obama, and Rosa Parks have changed the face of politics and the constant fight for equal rights forever; while famous faces like Maya Angelou, Arethra Franklin, Louis Armstrong, and even Beyonce have sent ripples through the entertainment industry through the decades. 

Another name that might ring a bell when speaking of African American History Month is Dr. Carter G. Woodsen, also known as the father of African American History Month. Woodsen was an American author, journalist, historian, and the proud founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. Events such as the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the case of Emmett Till, the first day Central High School became integrated, and so many more striking moments engraved in our history has shown that the people of America have been working and urging for years on the fight for equality. Though inequality still exists in our communities, the fight for equal rights grows with each day that passes. African American History Month is a reminder to celebrate the African American icons that have paved the path to a more tolerant country.

For more information: https://www.biography.com/tag/black-history