Senior Track Star: Morgan Schroeder

Senior Track Star: Morgan Schroeder

Mary Mount, Writer

Morgan Schroeder is a senior at OHS that runs track. Today I interviewed her about her season.

Q:How long have you been in track?

A:”I started sophomore year because I played soccer my freshman year.”

Q: When does your indoor track season start?

A:”I don’t know but I’m really looking forward to opting out for P.E. so hopefully soon. Track workouts have been going on for a while but I’m not sure when practices officially start. I think our first meet is in like early March.”

Q: What are you most excited for this upcoming season?

A:”I’m excited to be back with my friends for one final season. I think having the mindset that this is my last season is going to really push me to do my absolute best because in the past I’m not sure if I’ve put forth all I have, so I’m excited for that. I’m also excited just to be in track because it is a great atmosphere all the time and I look forward to going to practices at the end of the day because it makes my day better.”

Q: What are you least excited for?

A:”I would say I am least excited for my asthma to get really bad again because it makes me really sad when I can’t breathe. It also makes me dread races because I know right after I will feel like I’m dying, like actually dying. I’m also not that excited to have a ton of people on our team believe it or not. I mean it is better to have more people to fill more spots to give us the best chance of winning, but my sophomore year we had like 8 girls and we had a really strong bond.”

Q: Do you think you’ll return to state?

A:”Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we’ll have to wait and see *winky face.* I’m just kidding, I think we’ll have a really good chance of returning to state considering we have almost every girl back and I think we are more mature runners than we were in the past. Going into this season I think we all have that end goal in mind of what we want to achieve but it truly depends on how much we put into that goal. Since it is me, Brooke, and Faith’s last year it would be really special to go down there one last time.”

Q: What events do you participate in?

A:”It depends on the meet I guess. Last year I would run anywhere from the open 200, 400, or 800 to the 4×2, 4×4, or 4×8. This year I would say I am training more like a 400 runner but that doesn’t mean I won’t run 800’s.”

Q: What is your favorite event?

A:” I don’t know if I have a favorite. I like any relay more than an open event. I like the 4×8 because I get to run with XC3 (Brooke + Maryn), and I like the 4×4 because it is always the last race of the night and it is super intense and fun.”

Q: What is gonna be the best part of being a senior on the team?

A:”Nothing, it’s very sad. If I had to choose I would say that it would be putting everything I have into every single practice and race because it is my last season and I want to be proud of myself at the end.”

Q: What is the best thing about running?

A:”Running is very stress-relieving for me. It makes me truly happy to run, like if I’m having a bad day I will look forward to running because it makes me feel so calm and refreshed.”

Q:What is your favorite track memory?

A:”Oh gosh, honestly every memory with my team is so funny. I would say some of my best memories are Brooke and I always making fun of Maryn. Another one would be going to state my sophomore year in the 4×8, it was literally the best thing ever. I just remember finishing the race and instantly starting to cry hugging brooke and Maryn as Faith finished her leg of the race. I also remember Izzy telling the team what kind of cheese we were along with soup, fruit, and cake. Also, playing bad songs and Coach Matson being traumatized. ”

Q: What is the best thing about going to state?

A:” Well, state always falls on my birthday which is always really fun. Last year Izzy made me a birthday cake out of a granola bar, airheads, and apple jacks. Also, there is always good food which is nice. But mostly it is just a fun experience and I love being there with my team. But, my sophomore year there were orbs in me and Maryns room and we ended up sleeping in a twin bed together because we were scared.”