NCAA Wrestling Transfers

Back to Article
Back to Article

NCAA Wrestling Transfers

Allen Catour, Writer

Jaydin Eierman recently announced that he’s going to be transferring from Missouri to Iowa to finish his college career. Eierman is currently taking an Olympic redshirt, so he’ll join the Hawkeyes next season. He’s had a successful career so far, being a three time all american and never placing lower than fifth. Eierman’s transfer got me thinking of other significant transfers that have occurred in recent history. These are some major transfers that have happened these past few years:

Seth Gross (Wisconsin)- Seth Gross was a national champion for South Dakota State University in 2018 as a junior. During that offseason Gross’ coaches, Chris Bono and Jon Reader, left SDSU for Wisconsin. Gross only wrestled one match last year before sitting out the rest of the year with a back injury. He was granted another year of eligibility and transferred to Wisconsin to wrestle under his old coaches. This season he looks to win his second career national title.

Kyle Conel (Penn State)- Kyle Conel shocked the wrestling world when he went on a surprising run to third place in 2018. Conel, unseeded, ended up pinning the number one seed Kollin Moore from Ohio State in the quarterfinals and again in the third place match. Last season an injury forced Conel to miss the entire season. He was granted a medical redshirt and transferred to Penn State. He’ll definitely be a big boost for the upper weights in the lineup.

Gavin Teasdale (Iowa)- Gavin Teasdale has always been connected to Iowa. Moments after current Hawkeye Spencer Lee made his commitment, Teasdale verbally committed during his sophomore year in high school. He would then switch his commitment to rival Penn State. Teasdale then transferred to Iowa due to health issues, mainly his weight and not being able to drop down to 125 pounds. Teasdale will now joined a crowded 133/141 pound weight class for the Hawkeyes.

Austin DeSanto (Iowa)- Austin DeSanto started his college career at Drexel University. He’s been known for his high intensity and ability to mentally break opponent with his pace during matches. DeSanto was an NCAA qualifier his freshman year, but didn’t place. After transferring to Iowa last season, DeSanto improved and ended up placing fifth at last year’s national championships. We may see him bump up to 141 pounds due to Gavin Teasdale transferring in from Penn State, but nothing is certain yet.

Nick Suriano (Rutgers)- Nick Suriano joined the Penn State Nittany Lions after his high school career ended. As a freshman his season came to a close after he suffered an ankle injury. Suriano didn’t like how the situation was handled and wanted to return to his home state of New Jersery. He transferred to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights where he became their first national finalist before losing to Spencer Lee. Surinao bumped up a weight class to 133 pounds and made Rutgers history again by defeating Daton Fix to become the Scarlet Knight’s first national champion. He’s currently taking an Olympic redshirt, so we’ll have to wait until next year to see him wrestle in college again.