Football talk with Ben

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football talk with Ben

Morgan, Writer

Ben is a senior and has played football all four years. Ben believes that football has taught him to work hard in everything that he does, even in the classroom. Last Friday, the football team played in their opening game against Monmouth-Roseville. The Chargers came out with a win 20-18. This is an interview I had with Ben post game.

How has football changed you from freshman year to senior year?

“Football has taught me to be mentally tough. It has also taught me never to be late which is something I will carry on in my life, probably forever. Also, football has taught me to not complain. Ever.

How have you taken on a leadership role this year? Do the freshman look up to you? 

“I help the freshman with plays so they understand what is going on. Also, I practice hard everyday which sets a good example for the younger boys.”

You boys have a very strong bond. Do you think this bond translates onto the field?

Yes, we go out to eat a lot and we hang out almost everyday so we are pretty close. But, it’s hard to beat a bond like we had last year. We understand each other so much that we never have to worry that someone isn’t doing their job.

Since you have been a part of the last three playoff runs, how important is it to be there again this year? Also, does this make you nervous or excited for the season.

“Very important because we don’t want to be the only class to not go to playoffs. It makes me pretty excited because nobody really expects a lot out of us, but it would be pretty cool to prove them wrong.

What are your strengths as a team?

“We are pretty big up front, we have good skill players and a smart quarterback.”

Last Friday the football team played in their opening game against Monmouth-Roseville. The Chargers came out with a win 20-18. Make sure to come out and support the Chargers tomorrow as they face off Kewanee @ 7.